Across the Universe

From Goodreads:

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules.

Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn’t do something soon, her parents will be next.

Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed’s hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there’s only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

Ok, so here’s a confession. I’ve never read a single work of science fiction. Like, ever. I’m trying to think of one title, and I’m coming up blank. I think I was always a little intimidated because my brain and science just do not mix. But I’d heard such amazing things about ACROSS THE UNIVERSE that I had to read it. And WOW. It is flipping fantastic. Chock full of suspense, mystery and even romance, this one will keep you up at night because it is impossible to put down. Impossible. And then! Then I discovered the book has its own website, complete with really cool extras like a zoomable, cross-section diagram of the ship.

The bottom line: Read this book. Now!

And, on a final note, you know what? I’m kind of totally digging science fiction. It’s so … cool. I want to read more. Any recommendations for must-reads you can offer?

This was my first venture into sci fi, as well, and I LOVED it! Can't wait for the next one. :)

GAH! I <3 sci-fi. LOVELOVELOVE!

I can't suggest too much in the way of "modern" sci-fi since I grew up on it…and it hasn't been that popular in recent years.

Off the top of my head for YA: ADORATION OF JENNA FOX, UNWIND, THE SEARCH FOR WONDLA, or UGLIES. Dystopian = sci-fi, I guess.

As for adult stuff, anything by Ursula K. Le Guin is SURE to blow your mind. THE DISPOSSESSED is one of my All Time Favorite Books Ever. EVER. LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS is also amazing.

And Heinlein's STARSHIP TROOPERS is pretty awesome.

OOOH, and have you read ENDER'S GAME by Orson Scott Card? Amazing.

Okay, sorry for blabbering!!

Holy motherlode! Thanks, Susan! I haven't read any of these, so this a great starting place! :)

4. Michael Offutt says:

Sounds like a real page turner. If you are now turned on to science fiction, might I suggest "Stranger in a Strange Land" by Robert A. Heinlein. It is one of the first books that really turned me on to the beauty of sci-fi. Anyways…thanks for the review of this book. I may go looking for it now this weekend.

I'm not a huge SciFi fan, but Dune was very good. And I enjoyed Ender's Game, both the book and the short story version. (I believe it was originally a short story that was expanded into a novel.)

6. Alicia Gregoire says:

This is sitting on my day job desk waiting patiently. It's being more patient than I am.

Read Ender's Game.

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the recs!

8. Dan says:

I'd recommend The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and it's sequels. It's more comedy than SF, but since it involves aliens, supercomputers, and, oh yeah, the destruction of Earth (I'm not giving anything away: it's happens in the first few pages). It's one my two or three favorite books of all time.

9. Alexis says:

I didn't like it as much. It was ok.

10. Margo Berendsen says:

I just read it too and loved it! I still think about it! I wrote a post on it too :) (and I don't read much SF either, though I'm starting to read more now with all the dystopia books – it's like light SF)

I am a new follower and a crusader slowly getting around to meeting everyone.

I write YA historical fantasy, too. Was looking for a link on your page to more about what you are writing – did I miss it? Well, do tell me more if you are willing (I think we are a rare breed). Mine is set at the end of the Roman Empire, with a Greco-Roman version of the genie in the lamp for my fantasy element.

11. KO: The Insect Collector says:

wow- I have it on the nightstand…and I plan to read it before the month is out.

I don't have any SF to suggest that's not here already. :0)

12. Theresa Milstein says:

This is one of my favorite books I've read this year. Maybe ever!

13. L.A. Colvin says:

Well sounds like one more to add to my TBR list. I can't think of any right now but I love Sci-Fi!

14. Michael Di Gesu says:

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but would like to….

Michael

15. Lynda R Young says:

Yep, this one is on my TBR list

16. Teralyn Rose Pilgrim says:

Ender's Game is considered one of the best. I'm a fan of Dystopian myself: The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, and 1984. Dune is supposed to be amazing. If you go on Goodreads, they have lists of "The Best of…" and they have a great list of sci-fi stuff.

17. Aleeza says:

im not really into sci-fi either, but The Host by Stephenie Meyer was pretty good…! the only other sci-fi ive read, besides AtU of course, and i LOVED AtU. what a book!