And now for something completely different

If there’s one thing I’m pretty passionate about (I mean, other than writing, of course!), it’s food. I won’t talk your ear off about my personal philosophy, but suffice it to say, I’m all about real, wholesome delicious food. So here are two cookbooks that I absolutely can’t live without. All pictures and links are to Amazon but you can find these two most everywhere books are sold.

Power Foods

The premise of this book is simple—150 recipes featuring the 38 healthiest ingredients you can cook with. The book starts with a one-page summary of each ingredient, and why each is so awesome. After that, it’s recipe time! Everything from breakfast to dessert is covered, with the 38 ingredients playing the main role.

This book has everything a good cookbook should have. It’s easy to follow, has gorgeous photographs and inspires you to want to cook. The recipes are creative yet simple, and above all they’re delicious. This one is a winner!

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

I started baking all my own bread, which I promise is WAY easier than it probably sounds. I have my friend Kate to thank for it. She showed up at a get together with a loaf of the most amazing artisan bread I’d ever tasted. Everyone was impressed to the point of being hyper-complimentary, but Kate just sort of shrugged like it was no big deal and told us about this book.

And turns out the title is not a lie. You really can make amazing, fresh bread in five minutes a day, no kneading required. Just throw a few simple ingredients in the mixer, let it rise, tear off a hunk and bake it. It’s that easy. I tend to shy away from baking that involves anything more than minimal effort, so this book was perfect for me. I can’t recommend this one enough for carb-lovers like myself. And fresh-baked bread blows the socks off store-bought for sure. I have a fresh loaf of whole wheat olive bread cooling on the counter as I type this.

What about you? Any ‘Can’t Live Without’ cookbooks on your list?

1. KO: The Insect Collector says:

Thanks so much. It's really hard for me to find good ones.

I bought Alice Waters The Art of Simple Food about 2 years ago. I do love it, but I wouldn't call it "simple" all the time. The ingredients are sometimes simple, but what she does with them can take all day. I'm putting both of these on my list. THANKS

I'm a five minutes a day bread baker too. I LOVE it. Plus, I have a child who can't digest gluten and their gluten-free bread recipes are the best I've come across–my son loves them.

This. Is. Awesome.

AWESOME. Thank you for sharing. I'm going to buy these books NOW.

Katharine: I haven't heard of that one, but it sounds up my alley. But yes, I totally agree with you. It drives me crazy when a cookbook bills itself as easy, and then you look and see that the average recipe time is like 8 1/2 hours. Huh? What definition of "easy" are you using??

Connie: Glad to meet a fellow 5-minuter! :) I must admit, I haven't tried the gluten-free varieties yet, but it's so great to hear that they're just as delicious. Glad you found something your son likes!

Yay! Hope you like them as much as I do, Sooz! They're in constant rotation here. :)

No cookbooks for me since I hate cooking–however, I LOVE eating. That means I have to find a hubby willing to cook all of my meals. :)

7. Alicia Gregoire says:

That first cookbook sounds great. In theory. In practice, it would collect dust with my other ones.

And Pam, there are Hubby's out there that cook. I bagged one.

8. Michael Offutt says:

I'm all for healthy cooking. I need to lose weight.

9. Rachel Searles says:

Yay! I love cookbooks :) I have the 5 Minutes A Day cookbook, but hadn't seen the Power Foods one before, so thanks for the recommendation. I have so many favorite cookbooks, hmm…one of my go-to's for dinner parties is Suzanne Goin's Sunday Suppers. Most recent purchase is Slow Cooker Revolution! :)

Pam and Alicia: I definitely used to hate to cook. HATE! I married a man who loved it, so I had it made in the shade for years. Then he switched jobs, which meant lots of travel and long nights, so I had to learn out of necessity. And you know what? I kind of love it now. I am reformed!

Michael: Definitely check these out then. They're great!

Rachel: Thanks for the Suzanne Goin rec. I love dinner parties, so I'm totally going to check into that one!

11. Chantele Sedgwick says:

I love cookbooks. They are so pretty. It's the cooking that I don't like. Just kidding. Sort of…:) I actually like cooking most of the time. I can honestly say I don't own a lot of cook books though. I have my family ones that I've managed to print out and make really nice, but other than that… I need to invest in a few.