Tag team, back again

Wow. I’m really sorry for that post title. Really very sorry. If it makes you feel better, I did search through some old pictures looking for a truly ridiculous one of me decked out in full 90s dance recital regalia to match the title, but sadly thankfully the photo I’m thinking of seems to be lost.

Anyway.

I just read on Publisher’s Marketplace that author extraordinaire Melissa de la Cruz is teaming up with her husband to co-write a new YA trilogy, which got me thinking about the whole co-writing thing in general. When two writers get together, the results can be fun.

Naturally this got me thinking about whether I could ever team up with another write to go in on a book. On the one hand, I’m something of a control freak, but on the other I do know my writerly strengths (dialogue) and weaknesses (descriptive prose). Perhaps if I teamed with someone whose prose flows like poetry but whose dialogue falls a little flat, we would push each other to write a killer book while also honing each others’ crafts. And maybe having someone else knee-deep in the writing process with me would make it easier to push through the creative lulls that seem to always hit in the middle of my first drafts.

I realize that’s simplifying the writing process tremendously, and, when it comes down to it, I’m not sure I could unclench my little fists long enough to let someone else wrench a bit of control away from me. I’m curious to hear what you have to say. Have you ever teamed up with another writer? Would you consider it? Why or why not?

Posted in Writing

I’ve thought about the same thing a lot recently. I think co-writing would bring in a whole set of issues (as you mentioned) but it could also be very rewarding.

You’d have to be very sure about the compatibility (and ability to solve conflicts) between you and your partner for it to work.

But, yeah, it’d be a challenge in itself to give up the tight grip of control over the story. lol

2. Holly and I’ve talked about co-writing together. Of course, this was all over gchat. (Holly, I’m still brainstorming.) (I’ve also been thinking about getting an entire group together and doing a chapter-by-chapter thing.)

I’ve co-written in the past and it’s difficult to do, especially if you have one vision of the story and your co-writer has another. I think besides making sure that the strengths and weaknesses balance each other out, that you both need to be on board with the same agenda for the story.

One thing that’s great about the co-written project is that you have accountability–someone is waiting for you to finish that scene. That and being able to bounce plot ideas back and forth are the best things about the experience.

The accountability thing is something I didn’t think of, but something that is spot on. I for one know I’d feel like crap if I let down a partner. And yeah, the being able to bounce plot ideas off each other is pretty appealing too. I think you’re making a pretty convincing argument!

P.S. Sorry.

3. PS: I now have Tag Team in my head. Thanks, Meredith.

4. I think I’d want to do everything ‘my way’ (whatever that means– with only 1.75 novels written I don’t even have a way yet) so I might have to stick to writing on my own. Funny, I haven’t even read Will Grayson, Will Grayson but it’s the first co-written book that came to my mind.
    – Sophia.

5. You so totally took me back to high school!!! LOL!!!!

Not sure if I’d ever co-write with someone. There are so many decisions to be made and there’d inevitably be times when we didn’t agree. It’s kinda like two people trying to work on one painting…your styles would differ and would they really ever mesh together well???

I took myself right back to high school too, don’t worry! And that’s another point I didn’t think about. How do you move past the really sticky points where you don’t see eye to eye? I honestly don’t know the answer to that…

My cousin and I have been working on a WIP together for months. Actually, we haven’t been actively working on it–we’ve set it aside while we focus on individual projects. But we have plans of finishing it. I think the best way to work with another writer is when you’re doing multiple POVs–at least that works for us. :) We also plot together and give each other ideas for characters arcs.

You make a good point. I can see myself co-writing in a situation where there are dual (or more) points of view. Then you get to retain some control while also being able to reap the benefits of having a partner.

7. Trisha says:

Could be a cool idea to co-write with a hubby, at least for the male perspective :)

8. I have to work collaboratively on writing projects for my day job, and there is always that lack of control that can be frustrating. Of course the plus is that everyone brings their own amazing insight and creativity to the process, which is really cool to behold.

9. I know for a fact that I could never write with someone else. My personality and OCD would not allow it.

I guess it just goes to show my age. I have no idea what you’re talking about with the Tag Team thing. XD