You can’t always be the prom queen

I’ve noticed a lot of posts lately on building a blog and/or Twitter following. A lot of these offer tips, a la “Ten Reasons Why You Didn’t Get a Follow Back.” But missing from every one of these lists (or at least the ones I’ve seen) is what, in my mind, is the number one reason people didn’t subscribe to your blog or choose to follow you back on twitter:

*whispers* They’re just not that into you. *whispers*

And you know what? That’s okay. We can’t expect everyone to like us. We’re writers. We have to know that we’re not going to please every single reader out there. So I say we quit wasting our time and energy obsessing over who didn’t follow us back and why, and focus that energy onto the people who do like us and what we have to say. Because that’s what really matters!

Photo credit

Posted in Social Media

Yes. Yes. YES. This is my attitude completely, and I’m glad you said it.

ROCK ON. I like you, and I’m glad you think that matters!! 😉

<3 <3

I absolutely agree!!

3. Lol! Yes! I agree 100%. No point get yourself worked up over one or two people 🙂

4. Awesome point! Also, I think that if we spend our time stressing about followers, etc, we’re not spending time writing.

5. I don’t even pay that much attention to whether the people I’m following follow me back. I follow their blog because I want to read their content, if they follow me it’s just gravy. I’d be surprised if the blogs I read with a big following even notice little old me unless I comment regularly. And now I’m gonna take a few days break from using the word follow.
    – Sophia.

LOL. Yeah, the word “follow” appeared so much in my original draft of this post I was scrambling to come up with synonyms. ‘Subscribe’ FTW!

One word: awesome.

7. Yes, yes! One of the wonderful parts of the blogosphere is its winnowing effect – only those people that like you stick around. It’s cool. Like all your favorite people, hanging together. 🙂

8. Trisha says:

Yep, I’ve learned over the years (not just in writing) that not everyone loves me. I’m okay with that 😛

9. Monica B.W. says: