Friday Faves: December 2

I’m kicking off a new feature on the blog this week called Friday Faves. Basically just a round-up of my favorite things from the Internet and beyond. Blog posts, 365 pictures, links, hilarious YouTube videos, whatever else I’m dying to share. Sound fun? Let’s do this.

Favorite blog post I read this week: This incredibly inspirational post from agent Kristin Nelson on Marie Lu’s journey to publication and why sometimes it’s best to put a manuscript away in a drawer and write another one. Moral of the story: Don’t let rejection get you down! Onward, soldier!

Second favorite blog post I read this week: This awesome post from author Roni Loren on how changing up your writing habits can help increase productivity and crank up that word count. Good stuff, with a bunch of good links at the end too.

Favorite picture of the week (aka Project 365 entry): I snapped this Wednesday morning in my backyard. It was our first cold morning of the year. By which I mean it was like 55. I only got one picture—literally, one—before my camera battery died, but thankfully I really like it (and it’s clickable for a higher resolution image).

Favorite read of the week: One the recommendation of a friend, I picked up Past Perfect and read it and like ten pages in I knew it was love at first sight. A fun, lighthearted YA romantic comedy set at a Colonial reenactment village. HELLZ YES.

Favorite moment of the week: I was driving to the gym, having a conversation with my daughter, when all of a sudden it dawned on me that I was having a conversation with my daughter. This tiny little being who only a short while ago couldn’t even lift her head up, and here we were conversing. I mean, we were talking about oatmeal and how she likes the apple kind best and that it was a little too hot that morning and could I please not do that again, so nothing earth shattering, but still. A conversation.

Least favorite moment of the week: Shortly after we arrived at the gym, I fell off the treadmill. Oh yes. I totally did. I was craning my neck up to stare at NPH on Regis and Kelly and slipped off the back of the treadmill onto my knees. The only saving grace was that I was doing lunges at the time, so the treadmill was literally going one mile an hour, but still. Effing embarrassing.

And finally …

Favorite video of the week: You guys. I have watched this video so many times, and I cry with laughter every.single.time. You might have seen this one already, but if you haven’t, here’s Fenton the dog.

FENTOOOOOOON! Have a great weekend, everyone!

Posted in 365, Friday Faves Tagged , , , ,

1. Ow, my stomach. Tears of laughter and stomach cramps from the video. I was all skeptical and then… well, *you* know! Love the new feature, Meredith!

I had the same reaction you did to the video. For the first ten seconds or so, I was like, what am I supposed to be watching here? And then there it is. Glad you found it as funny as I did!

2. Laura Hughes says:

This is a fun feature!! And OMG, that post by Roni Loren changed my writing life this week (especially the link to Rachel Aaron; I loved her triangle strategy). That video was hilarious! I will never be able to hear the name Fenton again without laughing.

Isn’t that a great post? It really gave me a lot to think about. And glad you like Fenton as much as I do. I’ve been randomly going up to my dog and saying “Fentooon!” and it’s not getting old.

3. Oooh if you are having conversations with your daughter, it can’t be too far behind for you to be having arguments.

Think of the intellectual stimulation that you will have!

adieu

4. Oh. He was yelling Fenton. I thought someone off scream was yelling Bacon as some kind of weird parody of the dog treat commercial.

5. Roni Loren says:

Thanks so much for linking to my post! :) And having a conversation your daughter IS a big deal. My kidlet has a speech disorder and his biggest deficit is he can’t have conversation yet. So cherishing those milestones is totally justified. :)

You’re so right. I’m really trying to slow down and enjoy the milestones as they come because once they’re here, they’re on to something else. Kids grow up way too fast.

6. Oh, my! I hate to laugh, but I got a mental image as I was reading about you falling off the treadmill… my mom did that recently too. Those babies are dangerous! Hope you’re okay!

I’ve been wanting to read PAST PERFECT, now even more so since I know you liked it so much. :)

7. I loved hearing the story behind LEGEND. Hope to everyone who is not getting that book deal and maybe truly we need to always be working on that next project!

8. Julie Musil says:

OMG I must share that video with my sons! That’s so funny. I found your blog through Lisa Green, and I’m so glad I did! Love your Friday Faves…I’ll go check out the great links.

9. Past Perfect sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the tip. Can’t wait to read it!