2012 Writing Resolutions

In 2012, I resolve to …

1. Stop relying on the same physical reactions over and over (and over again). My characters are forever glaring at each other or popping a hand on a hip or wringing their hands in frustration. It’s starting to get old.

2. Continue working on characterization. I’m a plot kind of girl. Plotting has always come pretty easy for me. But crafting believable characters? SO EFFING DIFFICULT. It’s one of those things that I’m going to have to keep working on, and eventually it will get easier (at least that’s what I’m telling myself).

3. Be more consistent with blogging. I’m never going to be an every-day-of-the-week blogger. Ever. I’m so envious of those of you who come up with brilliant material day after day, while I can barely type in the correct WordPress admin password on the first try. I’m aiming to post twice a week, but we shall see.

4. Write down every book I read this year. Yep, that’s it. Not to read 100 books or even 50, but only to keep track of the books I do read. You think this would be an easy task, but nope. It gets me every year.

5. Take bigger chances. Push myself outside of my comfort zone. Write about a subject that scares me. Grow.

What about you? What are your writing resolutions for this year?

1. Re: #1 I wrote a scene today in which a character had *so many* reactions based on her stomach. It didn’t help that she’d just eaten after being starved for two days, but it was all clenching stomachs and dropping stomachs and hearts in stomachs. I did get one interesting metaphor out of it though, I think. This is what edits were made for!

#4 Writing down the books I’ve read has been so helpful: I can see whether I’ve read more or less than the year before, what genres I’m targeting or forgetting, and, TBH, it was super helpful for the end of year review when I’d forgotten all the books I read in the first half of the year.

#5 Yes. Do it.

Oh my gosh, I do the stomach thing all.the.time. Stomachs drop, they twist, they churn. Glad you got a good metaphor out of it! I pretty much just have to delete mine in full. 🙂

I’ve decided to write down the books I read this year too. (Just finished Hollowland by Amanda Hocking. I enjoyed it, even though I’m not normally a reader of zombie books. Now I’m reading Marine One by James Huston. It was a Christmas gift from my son. Really enjoying it.

I can totally relate to #1 & #2. My first drafts especially are just WRETCHED for action tags and characterization…and meandering dialogue. 😛

And I’m all for #5–that’s something we should all add to our list!!

Happy New Year!!

Love your resolution list. I may steal your #5 for sure. As a fellow plot chick, I TOTALLY feel you on the characterization thing. This is one of the things I’m still tweaking.

Steal away! I hope you do. Nothing like going outside of your comfort zone to make you grow as a writer. And may your characters continue to grow and shine in 2012!

5. Goodreads can be very helpful with keeping track of the books you read.

Oh yes, in theory Goodreads is the perfect solution. But in actuality, I’m even worse keeping track of books on Goodreads than I am just writing them down. Oops.

6. Bri says:

My characters are ALWAYS smiling. Sad smiles, sarcastic smiles, sometimes they even grin! So I understand wanting to broaden characters’ physical reactions 😉

Good luck with your resolutions! 🙂

Ha! Smiling used to be a big thing for me. My early drafts of my last book probably had smiles on every page. I think I got so sick of it that now none of my characters smile. Ever. Took it way too far in the other direction. 😉

8. Meredith, these are great resolutions. I am definitely going to borrow a few. I can say that blogging about the books I read on a monthly basis is a huge help. Even if it’s just a list, it’s the only way I can keep up with what I read.

9. Pingback: One Quick and Easy Way to Beef Up Your Manuscript « Meredith McCardle

10. Pingback: One Quick and Easy Way to Beef Up Your Manuscript | Meredith McCardle