B is for … well, a lot of things, actually

Break. Oh hey, look at that, I went and took about a month’s hiatus and didn’t tell anyone. Sorry about that. I honestly wasn’t planning on taking such a break from the blog, but then things happened and life got just sort of got away from me for quite a while. What sorts of things? Here, have some more B words.

Baby. Yep, I’m having another one! I actually found out I was pregnant the day I went on sub with THE EIGHTH GUARDIAN, so … that day was pretty crazy. And I know a baby alone doesn’t justify a complete lack of radio silence on my part, except that, for me, when there are babies involved, B also stands for …

Barfing. Sorry, is that gross? I’ll spare the gory details, but suffice it to say I don’t have easy pregnancies, at least early on. This time around, I was okay for the first week or so, but then it all went downhill very quickly. There were days I didn’t keep anything down. Consecutive days. There were plenty of days I couldn’t even get out of bed. (Seriously, without my mother and mother-in-law, who came over and helped me just about every day, I never would have gotten through this). In the midst of this illness, everything sort of fell by the wayside. I stopped reading blogs, I disappeared from Facebook and Twitter, I certainly put updating this blog low on my list of priorities. And while all this was going on, I was also dealing with …

Building contractors. Well, pool contractors, more specifically, but “pool” doesn’t start with a B. *shakes fist at Universe* When we first bought our house, we knew we wanted to put in a pool some day, when the timing was right. And the perfect time turned out to be when I was so sick that I couldn’t even walk past my kitchen pantry without gagging. I had no idea how time consuming (not to mention stressful) hiring a contractor was, which just seems really naive looking back on it now. Anyway, we are only a few shorts weeks away from my backyard being under major construction. Fun!

Books. If there’s any good that came of the month of May, it’s that I read books while holed up in bed. A lot of them. I re-read the entire Harry Potter series for the heck of it, and then I also read some George R.R. Martin, and at the end of the day, it turns out I read nearly 1.4 million words in May. I don’t think I will ever top this. Like, EVER.

But now I am BACK and I have a bunch of things planned for the upcoming weeks. Are you excited? I’m excited.

Now you tell me! What have you been up to? Bonus points if you use B words. 😉

Posted in Miscellany

1. Sophia Richardson says:

Oh my gosh, congrats on the baby news, Meredith! And yeah, that’s a pretty awesome reading month, go you. I’d like to reread Harry Potter this summer, but I still have so many books I’ve never read before on my TBR list… sigh, there’s never enough time, is there?

Thank you! It was actually a really cool experience to re-read all of the HP books. It had been years since I’d read even one of them, and reading them back to back like that was a fun way to rediscover the series. Although I won’t lie, I was totally sick of HP when I closed the last book (and then really missing it a few days later).

Glad to have you back, and CONGRATULATIONS on the baby news!! 🙂 Hope you’re feeling better.

3. Ahh congrats on the baby!!! That’s really exciting. I hope you start feeling better soon.

4. I love this post! Congratulation on the pregnancy… I’m thrilled for you! I can also totally commiserate on the morning sickness. It’s the reason I still only have ONE child! 🙂 Hope you’re feeling better very soon and that the rest of your pregnancy is a breeze. Congrats again!

Thank you! I hope the rest of this pregnancy is a breeze too! Morning sickness definitely = the suck, especially when “morning” really = “24/7.” 😉

5. Laura Hughes says:

Congratulations, Meredith!! How exciting!! I’ve also been busy with a ‘B’ word… ‘Bridal’! I’m getting married on July 9th and have been busy planning our international celebration (one party in the Netherlands, one in Canada!). I really do need to get back to blogging. Fingers still crossed for THE EIGHT GUARDIAN subs!! 🙂

Ooh, congratulations to you too, Laura! I remember how stressful planning a wedding can be (and I only had to do one, so I can’t imagine the stress of planning TWO). I totally understand how that’s eating up all your free time! Yay for weddings! 🙂

Aw, sorry you have several barfing sessions BUT yay on the BABY! Glad that you’re feeling better. Aw, someone is about to become a big sister. 🙂

Thanks, Karen! My little girl is really excited (but only if she’s going to have a little sister. She’s not interested in having a little brother). 😀

7. Kat says:

ZOMG!!! I missed this post but Yayyyyyyy! How wonderful.