My Pitch Wars wish list

I’m so happy to be a Pitch Wars mentor again this year! First, here’s a little about me.

• I’m now a full-time writer. Before this, I was a full-time lawyer. And I still squeeze being a full-time mom into the mix.
  • My debut novel, THE EIGHTH GUARDIAN, was released in May. Confetti! It’s a fast-paced thriller set in a world of time-traveling teens employed by the US government. (Because you can take the girl out of the law, but you can’t take the law out of the girl…)
  • The sequel, BLACKOUT, comes out in January, and I’m hard at work revising the third book.
  • Basically, I’m busy all the time. I live on coffee and KIND bars. (The dark chocolate  nuts and sea salt variety, to be specific).

If you write any of the following, we might be soul mates and you should put me on your submission list. Please note, I’m mentoring YA only this year!

• Historical.
  • Fantasy.
  • Historical fantasy!
  • And especially, historical fantasy based on underrepresented cultures.
  • Thrillers. Anything fast-paced, high-adrenaline, super-actiony. (That’s a word).
  • As a general rule, the darker, the creepier, the better with me. And if you’re not 100% sure whether I’d like something, feel free to ping me on Twitter and ask! @MeredithMcP

We will probably not be a good match if you write the following. (And, I mean, I’m sure you’re still awesome, and I totally still want to hang out with you.)

• Contemporary romance.
  • Anything light-hearted in tone.
  • Time travel. I know, I know. I write it. It’s my speciality.  But that’s actually why I’m not taking any time travel on. I make it a general rule not to read a genre I’m actively writing, and, from a legal standpoint, I can’t read it right now anyway. So please, don’t waste a spot on me if you write time travel. It’ll be deleted unread. (To be blunt.)

So why would you pick me?

• I was a Pitch Wars mentor last year. My amazing mentee got ten—ten—agent requests and wound up signing with one of them only weeks later.
  • I think I’m pretty decent at reading a manuscript, identifying the problem areas, and working with a writer to figure out how to fix them.
  • I also think I have a pretty decent knowledge of the industry. What’s selling, what’s not, what agents and editors are looking for at the moment, what they’re not. And that will always be in the back of my head.

And that’s it! If you think we’re a good fit, I hope you keep me on your list. And if not, then I wish you all the best! Good luck to everyone!

Check out the other mentors here!

Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets — Easy-Linky widget will appear right here!
This preview will disappear when the widget is displayed on your site.
If this widget does not appear, click here to display it.

Posted in Pitch Wars

1. Pingback: Pitch Wars Mentor Bio | Ben L. J. Brooks

2. Quiarah Butler says:

OOh, YAY!! You want creepy and dark YA, and fantasy no less! I can’t wait to sub to you! I think we would make a good mentor-mentee match. :)

3. Heidi harrod says:

My book, Aswang, is somewhere between YA and NA. Is it still okay to send it to you?

4. Thanks for serving as a mentor. I can’t submit to you b/c I write adult literary fiction but I’m happy to discover another lawyer/writer (me too) and someone who also likes the dark chocolate/sea salt KIND bars (they are so yummy)!

5. Pingback: #PitchWars Mentor Bio Blog Hop! | Jessie Devine

6. Jenna-Lynne says:

The Eighth Guardian sounds awesome! I love time travels!!

I know you like fantasy but how about a fantasy romance? It’s also steeped in Middle Eastern culture and has pirates?

7. Jerry Quinn says:

I have a question for you about age categories. I would think we were soul mates on the historical fantasy front EXCEPT that I’m not sure if my ms is YA, NA, or A. It follows the protagonist from age 12 to about 24, but a few dramatic elements might be considered too “dark” for YA. I’ve also been told that there is no such thing as historical YA, since a teenage character in a historical setting was probably experiencing fully adult events (being married off, being a soldier, etc, as opposed to being in high school.)

I also jumped abruptly from reading a glut of MG fantasy to full-fledged adult speculative at 12 (and went back and read a bunch of my beloved MG fantasy in college) so I have a lot of trouble understanding what 12-year-olds (or adults) are “supposed” to read.

I’d love to pitch you, but I don’t want to be incorrect in calling my submission YA if being historical or having dark elements (or following the character into their 20s) disqualifies it.

It sounds more adult or possible NA, although I haven’t seen a lot of historical fantasy NA. And YA historical is most definitely a thing. Doesn’t matter if a character is experiencing something out of a typical high school environment. Just look at Code Name Verity (female fighter pilot taken capture by Nazis during WWII) or Between Shades of Gray (Lithuanian citizens forced into Siberian work camps under Stalin). Ain’t nothin high school about those. 😉

• Jerry Quinn says:

Very educational reply, thank you! I think I’ve read a lot of things that I simply didn’t know were officially YA.

Dannie Morin gave me this definition: “Here’s what makes it YA or not–coming of age themes. If your MC is a teenager and is trying to figure out who the hell he is, it’s YA. If he is slightly older (17-25) knows who the hell he is but not who he wants to be or what he wants to do about it, that’s New Adult. ”

By that standard, it’s firmly YA. The conclusion of the character’s arc is him finally deciding who he is in the last chapter. And your specific examples of things that fall under YA make me confident that emotionally challenging topics need not be off limits.

Thank you very much!

8. so we’re not meant to be :( but I had to comment and say I LOVE your background. It’s soooo pretty. Gimme! >.<

9. Venu says:

Hi Meredith.
    I’m liking your blog here and the eighth guardian looks great.
    I’ve got an alternate world fantasy book which takes place in a world something like parts of the American continent might have been some hundreds of years ago. The protagonists are apprentice mystics. They’re around 15 years old and figuring out how to keep their world in balance as a war in the world above theirs threatens to destroy their own. A secondary protagonist is training to be a warrior chief. Does that sound up your alley?
    Thanks
    Venu

10. C.J. Malarsky says:

Hi Meredith,
    First off, thanks for mentoring. Secondly, I am curious to know what some of your favorite dark stories are in the YA horror and thriller genre. I have a YA horror in a contemporary setting and am trying to see if it would be a right fit for you. Thanks so much! :)

11. Trisha says:

I’m not participating in Pitch Wars, but it sounds so very awesome!

You’d make a great mentor, no doubt. 😀