Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Now that television season is upon us, I have a confession to make. There are really only two shows that I will drop everything for. The first is Mad Men, a brilliantly-written, impeccably-acted character drama that wows me week after week. The second—::pauses and waits for the backlash::—is Make It or Break It. Yes, that’s right, the cheesy gymnastics show on ABC Family. I can’t get enough. I have a series recording set on my DVR, but that doesn’t stop me from plopping down in front of the TV every Tuesday night, wine glass in hand, to cheer on the Rock girls. These kinds of shows are guilty pleasures. If you make a show about gymnastics, dancing or cheerleading, I will watch it.

That said, as soon as I saw the ads for Hellcats, the new cheerleading show on the CW, I was all “Sign me up!” But not even 10 minutes into the first episode, I was done. Why, you ask? The terrible plotlines? The cliched stock characters—underdog, nice girl, bitchy girl? The objectification of women by way of scanty outfits? Nope. None of the above. What made me hit the off-switch is the fact that the main character is majoring in pre-law.
People! There is no such thing as a “pre-law” major. It’s called political science or history or (like I did) journalism. Or any major your college offers, really. If you’re lucky, you could even go someplace that has a major focusing on jurisprudence. But going to your “pre-law” class on Monday morning is not going to happen. It’s so unrealistic that it took me right out of the show and I was done. Willing suspension of disbelief, my ass.

What about you? Any shows, movies or books you’ve given up on just because there was one aspect—minor or major—that was so unrealistic you couldn’t move past it?

1. WindyA says:

Love Make It or Break It. A show to give up on … my sister got me watching Secret Life of the American Teenager – got through about two episodes and couldn't get over the cheesy acting. At least on Make It or Break It they've got cool gymnastics to counter the cheesy fodder.

Ha! I haven't watched Secret Life, and the moment that assured me I never would was "with special guest star Bristol Palin."

3. Bri says:

If you make a show about gymnastics, dancing or cheerleading, I will watch it.

ME TOO. Love me some Make It or Break It.

I almost gave up on One Tree Hill when Haley became a music superstar in her junior year of high school. And when she didn't make music for years, came back, and STILL had a huge fan following. And when Lucas' book was going to be made into a movie and he got to write the script. And when Peyton had a stalker. And when Jamie had a stalker. And when Clay had a stalker. And when Brooke was attacked. And when Lucas almost died but didn't. And when Nathan almost died but didn't. And when Peyton almost died but didn't. And when Haley almost died but didn't. And the million times Dan almost died but didn't.

The sad part is, I could go on. But, I LOVE these characters, so I won't abandon the show. If you give me characters that I care about, I'll come back no matter how many stalkers you throw in there.

Bri, DED! That's hilarious!

5. Kate Hart says:

Love the post title. I'm the same way w/ dance, etc., shows. "Making the Team: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders"? Yes please.

6. Janine says:

I'm with Kate, I love the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

But yeah, I will totally reject something on the basis of lazy or inaccurate info in there. Drives me nuts.