Crusader challenge numero uno

I live on a lake. An unfenced lake. In Florida. I have a dog. This means a number of things.

1) I don’t have to worry about a rabbit crossing our path, but I do have to keep my ears trained for fuliguline calls. At the softest quack of a duck, my dog takes off like a bat out of hell, sprinting toward the water (faster than my former-gymnast legs can keep up), a steady stream of bark-laden warnings—nay, obscenities—escaping his little doggy lips. Did you know dogs could bloviate? Me either.

2) Year round I can sit in the backyard with a glass of wine in my hand and the dog at my side. I can close my eyes and let the smell of grass, fresh from the sting of a blade, permeate my senses. I can let the stress of the day melt away, forget about all the unreturned phone calls and emails, and count the golf balls washed up on the shore. It’s heaven.

3) February means the mango trees are in bloom. The mango trees blooming means the wasps are out in droves. The wasps circling means I’m terrified to be outside. My fear of the yard of course means the dog has to pee. Now.

(By the way, something I’ve said here might be a lie. Can you tell what it is?)

(P.S. The lie is not that I have a dog. I do have a dog. A cute one. Here he is reading the newspaper with my husband.)

1. Michael Offutt says:

Great writer challenge but I just wanted to say that I'm jealous you live by a lake in Florida. You live in the land of eternal summer and oranges /sigh.

2. Holly Dodson says:

Awww what a cute dog. Are there not alligators in your pond? I live in FL too, and alligators tend to trickle into every pool of water they find around here. 😉

I'm going to guess the lie as…number…3.

Michael, thanks! It is a pretty sweet set up. :)

Holly, nope, everything in number 3 is true. I'm terrified of wasps. As for the alligator thing, I should clarify that I live on a self-contained, man-made lake that isn't connected to the main canal system. There's a chance an alligator could wander in on foot, but it's unlikely. However, my husband's parents live like half a mile away, and they're also on a lake—one that connects to the main canal. Fish and Wildlife is always pulling alligators out of their lake…

4. Margo Benson says:

Good one – I have no idea of the lie! Your place sounds gorgeous.

Oooh, I was wondering about gators too!

So, I say that #2 is false…because it's WAY TOO HOT to sit out all year. :) And there are mosquitos.

But I wish I lived on a nice lake in Florida. (Especially right now when we're having ANOTHER snow storm.)

6. Margo Kelly says:

I have no idea which one is a lie! But, I am a fellow crusader and new follower! Nice to meet you.

7. Jen says:

Fellow crusader here. Nice job with the challenge. I'm going to say that the lake is in fact fenced in.

8. Alicia Gregoire says:

I'm going to go with number three, but I doubt mangos bloom in February.

Alligators?! Euw. I'm going to have nightmares.

10. Heather Hellmann says:

Awww! Your dog is so cute.

11. Sari Webb says:

Wow this is a tricky one. I'm going to go with… you don't drink wine?

12. Zan Marie says:

Oh, cute dog! I have no clue on your lie. Good writing. I'm following you now.

13. Kari Marie says:

YOur home sound beautiful and your dog is adorable. I would have nightmares worrying about my dog and an alligator though. *shivers*

Your lie is hidden well. No clue.

14. Witless Exposition says:

Adorable puppy! I bet he does get into trouble. I'm too paranoid to be able to live comfortably by an unfenced pond in FL, so I congratulate you that you can sit and relax. I'm going to guess that the fib is that you were a former gymnast.