Oh hey! How’ve you been? What’s new?

Hi blog friends! I realized it’s been a while since I talked about things that are going on in my life, both professionally and personally, so I figured I’d take a quick second to do that and then you can tell me what’s going on with you and then we’ll be all caught up. Sounds good? I’ll go first.

1. Four Stones is out on submission with publishers. Most of my friends who’ve been through the process before warned me that being out on sub is much more nerve-wracking than querying, to which I was all PSSHAW! because nothing is more nerve-wracking than querying, right? Except they were right. Being out on sub is eleventy times more nerve-wracking than querying, and it’s also a slower process (at least I think it is), which just adds to the anxiety. If you haven’t yet, you should read this post by Natalie Whipple about being on submission. It’s pretty spot-on, especially the “Your Mental State” bit. I feel like my life is an alternating series of I ROCK, no wait, I SUCK episodes.

2. The new WIP is chugging along nicely. The lovely Alicia recommended I make a chart documenting my progress, and I must hand it to Alicia, this is a fabulous idea. I love seeing my word count tick up each day, and the story is really coming together. I’m still aiming for that July 1 deadline (and then I promise to stop being so damned secretive about this project and let you know what it’s about).

3. We’re going to Europe this fall. It’s official. Well, as official as you can be when you haven’t booked anything yet. It should be booked by the end of the week (hopefully). I can’t freaking wait. It’s been SIX YEARS since I was in London. SIX YEARS! Inexcusable!

4. My 19-month-old daughter isn’t eating. It is a knock-down-drag-out battle to get her to eat anything. I always swore I would never be one of those moms who uses bribery and trickery to get their kids to eat, but guess who spent 20 solid minutes blowing Dora the Explorer bubbles in her kid’s face as she sat in her high chair (not) eating a PB&J? Oh, that’s right. This girl. C’mon, Roo, take a bite and I’ll blow the bubbles again. *le sigh* Moms out there, any advice?

5. I need to buy a new purse. This is not really all that interesting, but it is weighing on my mind a lot so I thought I’d throw it out there.

Now it’s your turn, friends. What have you been up to? Any fun trips planned? Have you read any books lately that have blown you away? Any news, publishing-related or not?

Posted in Me, Writing Tagged , ,

My guy is the same about eating. Thing is though, they won’t starve. She’ll eat when she’s hungry. I just continuously offer my guy snacks, and eventually he’ll cave and eat a banana even if I can’t get anything else in him. :) (But, dude, bribery totally works. Especially once you hit the horrific threes. lol)

Whew, I know just how intense the submission process is–but it’s good you’re keeping yourself busy with a new manuscript. :) YAY for your Europe trip–hope you have a blast!

3. Rima says:

1. I’m not there yet, but I feel for you. Have a glass of wine (or three). πŸ˜‰

2. No Write or Die? I have to admit, I’m too scared to try it. I’m afraid my computer will punch me in the face if I fail. I don’t need that kind of pressure.

3. Can I come? I’ve never been.

4. Don’t sweat it. It’s a phase, and it’ll pass. I thought for sure my oldest would starve to death, but she stayed plump and active. Very bizarre, but totally natural. Let her tell you when she’s hungry.

5. You should see mine. A total embarrassment. And it used to be “designer” before it was brutalized by baby gear.

1. Done!
      2. I’m with you. πŸ˜‰
      3. You’ve never been to London? You simply must go! It’s my favorite city in the world!
      4. Thanks. I’m realizing I just need to calm the eff down!
      5. None of my purses are baby=friendly, and I am so sick of carrying a diaper bag!

4. Alicia says:

I’m so glad that the word count log works for you. AWESOME! And how fantastic is it you’re going to Europe? I haven’t been since 2001. I have no advice on the eating thing, but I still look at purses though I have more than I know what to do with.

5. Good luck with Four Stones!

Have fun on the trip.

As far as your daughter, she’ll eat when she’s hungry. I promise. No child starves to death by choice. I have two skinny kids who went through phases of small appetites and big ones. They’ll have lifetimes to struggle with weight. Now they’re strong and healthy at 8 and 12. I wish I’d relaxed more. Some of what the kids do is probably because they realize they have power when we make a big deal of it. It’s hard to go through.

Thanks!

And you’re right. Of course you’re right. She’s not going to starve. I just need to simmer down and let her do her thing. Easier said than done at times!

6. A trip to Europe sounds like the perfect reward for finishing a WIP and going on sub. It sounds almost necessary, considering the stress. :)

7. Good luck with being on sub and for your trip to Europe, any places in particular you’re hoping to visit? I’m guessing you intend to remedy the fact that you haven’t been to London in six years for starters. After my week in the south of France I’m now looking forward to my brief trip to London next week and planning on hitting a gallery and museum for worldbuilding research.
    – Sophia.