RTW: Reasons for Writing

Today the lovelies at YA Highway are asking: What is your numero uno reason for writing? This is an easy one, friends.

I have to.

Yep, it’s as simple as that. I’ve always been a storyteller. Ever since I was wee young thing. Seriously, it wasn’t until I was in college that I realized that not everyone makes up stories in their head all day long. (And I still don’t quite understand what people think about all day if it’s not a long-running serial story). Eventually I got to the point where I had to write some of those stories down because my brain was going to burst otherwise, and so I did. And then I never stopped.

Writing, to me, is living. It’s as natural as breathing. Now that I’ve started, I can’t imagine stopping. So I don’t think I will.

What about you? What’s your numero uno reason for writing?

Posted in RTW Tagged ,

1. Your reason wasn’t the reason I chose to talk about today, but it is definitely one of my top 5. I feel calmer when I’m working on a writing project. I spent years not writing, and now that I’m doing it again, I don’t think I could stop! Great answer. 🙂

I love your reason…mostly because it’s pretty much exactly the same as my reason. 🙂

3. Brilliant, Meredith. My answer was the same! I simply can’t NOT write.

Somehow this is my first visit to your blog (I think…?). Anyhow, it’s lovely. Your header is beautiful. I look forward to visiting more in the future!

4. Colin says:

I don’t know that this would be my Number Uno reason, but I definitely understand the compulsion to put words on paper. And walking around with stories and characters in your head–really? Not everyone’s like that? Hmmm. 🙂

5. Jaime says:

Like Tara, this would definitely be in my top 5 reasons for writing (but not the one I chose today). Really good answer 🙂

6. Laurie says:

I totally agree about wondering what other people are thinking all day! Great answer!

7. Yep. Your reason sums me up. I think we might see this one a lot.

Huh… I guess it’s the same for me. I HAVE to get this story out of me. I suck at photography, I cannot draw to save my life, and film is just way over my head. That leaves writing.

Awesome post! I love hearing where other writers come from… <3

Absolutely. If you don’t “have to,” I don’t why you would–there are so many easier ways to be creative.

10. Donelle Lacy says:

Yes. It’s like a driving force, isn’t it? That’s how I feel about drawing. I just CAN’T turn it off. I simply have to produce something or creative acid will eat me away on the inside. *ahem* That is to say, I understand.

My reason for writing was simply that I have to SHARE my worlds, my characters, my brilli- er, ideas, with people.

11. Crystal says:

“And I still don’t quite understand what people think about all day if it’s not a long-running serial story”

No clue, but I feel like their heads must be pretty boring to live in.

Love your reason. Ha, I thought it was really weird to hear character voices in my head but now I realize it’s just the story trying to get out on paper. LOL.

13. “I have to.”

Yep. That’s me. I can’t picture my life right now without it.