I Love Where I Live: Day 2

Here we are on Day 2 of I Love Where I Live/Change Your Attitude Week, in which I am trying to re-appreciate my hometown. Day 1 is here. But today, we’re on to something a little tastier.

THE FOOD

When it comes down to it, it’s all about food, isn’t it? And I’m lucky enough to live in a place that has an abundance of great culinary options. There are two reasons for this. One:

Five simple words: Fishing capital of the world. There’s “fresh” fish and there’s fresh fish. And let me tell you, there’s a huge difference between something that’s been sitting around a grocery store for a day or two and something that was caught that morning just a few miles offshore. HUGE. I’m not a big meat eater, but I eat a lot of fish. I’m lucky I can eat local (and sustainable!) nearly all of the time.

Now, as for how to prepare that fish, that leads me to my second point:

The diversity of the cuisine. South Florida is truly a melting pot of all different races and ethnicities. We don’t have black and white. We have Haitian, Israeli, Bahamian, Russian, Jamaican, Venezuelan,ย Brazilian, Cuban, Dominican, I could go on for a while. That means a wide variety of experiences and a wide variety of food.

Sometimes I can’t imagine living anywhere else.

What about you? Any local specialties your area is known for?

Posted in Me, Miscellany Tagged ,

Florida rocks if only for the right-off-the-boat seafood. There is nothing better. ๐Ÿ™‚ I also love the diversity of the food in our state. We have a lot of Greeks in our area, and MAN can they cook!

MMMMmmmm, I love Greek! We have a Greek restaurant here I’ve wanted to check out for months but, no joke, every time we drive by there are lines OUT THE DOOR. No matter the time of day. That’s gotta be a sign it’s amazing, right? Hopefully one of these days I’ll actually get there…

Ah, I still have many seafood memories (ha, let’s keep it reall FOOD memories) of Florida. Love visiting ya’ll for sure.

Hmm…I’m trying to think what Atlanta is best known for but I’m blank right now. Maybe GA in general is the good southern cooking — especially in Savannah.

3. You’re making me want to visit! My husband and I want to make a trip to Miami at some point, and the food is something I’m most looking forward to.

You guys should! I’ll be glad to let you know what restaurants to be sure to hit (and I might even force myself along with you to a few of them). ๐Ÿ˜‰

I would move there for the food alone. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. This post makes me hungry! I love fresh seafood, which works out well because the Pacific Northwest is known for salmon, one of my faves. ๐Ÿ™‚

Salmon is one of my favorites too. I’m excited it’s finally season for wild king and coho. I’m so jealous you live in a place where you can get that local. We have to ship it. My husband actually found a place that ships directly from Alaska, same day they catch it, so we do that each season and freeze it. But fresh, mmmmmmmm! That’s so much better!