Do you NaNo?

NaNoWriMo has been on my radar screen since 2001 or so, but I’ve never actually participated. Laziness, lack of inspiration, being overwhelmed by a demanding day job, I’ve had a whole host of excuses. But this year actually seems like the perfect time to give it a go. I now have a sequel to THE EIGHTH GUARDIAN I need to write, and I’m due to pop out a baby at some point in December, so November it is! Whether or not I’ll actually finish the sequel remains to be seen, considering I can’t seem to write a first draft that comes in under 90,000 words, which seems like a lot to try to write in a month that also has a major holiday and my daughter’s birthday. But I’m certainly going to try!

Let me know if you’ve signed up for NaNo so I can add you as a buddy! Or just go ahead and find me if you want—my username is MeredithMcP.

And in the grand spirit of not letting this blog fall to the wayside while I’m trying to spit out roughly 3,000 words a day, I’m taking an idea from my writing buddy Katy Upperman and will be posting the following update (at least) once a week. I encourage you to steal, I mean “borrow”, the form just like I did!

Progress (word count or a general status update):
Current Mood:
Inspiration (a writing-related quote):
Goals as of Today:
Recent Favorite NaNo-WiP Line:
Non-NaNo News (because life DOES go on):
In My Downtime (ha!) I'm Reading:
You should read this blog post: By: Because:
Gratuitous Photograph (because I love 'em!):

Happy writing, everyone!

1. Holly Dodson says:

Good luck!! I’m going to be drafting in November as well, and although I’m not expecting to get 50k words, I AM going to track my progress on the NaNo site. I added you as a buddy. 😉

Chances are I’m not going to make it to 50,000 either, with everything I have going on in November, but hopefully NaNo will give us both the push we need to get a good chunk done!

I’ve tried to do NaNo a couple of times but I only got to 30K before the day job and my Thanksgiving gluttony took over. But I think this will be perfect timing for you. Good luck! :)

3. I’m doing it this year for the first time. I’m not sure I’ll get to 50K but even if I get half of that, I’ll be excited! Good luck! Wish we had those rocking chairs right about now. :)

Oooooh yes, those rocking chairs would be so handy right now. I was so productive in those things. Too bad we can’t just take a month of our lives off to write, huh?

4. Marquita says:

Hey! Pam and I are doing NaNo, too! I love the template that you “borrowed” from Katy Upperman. Hmmm, Pam and I just might have something similar on our blog during November.

I’m: mhockaday
    Pam is: pharris81

Happy NaNoing!!!

5. I think I might steal your stolen idea 😉 That’s a great way to keep up with blogging during NaNo, as well as incentivise me to get moving and have something to show for it! (not that I don’t have incentive enough…)

6. Ooh, you’re going to love it, Meredith. I know you’ve already been at it for a while, and been sick and such, but at the end of the month, you’ll look at all your words and feel absolutely wonderful.

7. katyupperman says:

How have I missed out on seeing your gorgeous blog facelift? I love your header and the new color scheme!

I’m not NaNo-ing this year because I’ve got a draft to finish and revise. I had a blast with it last year, though, and I’m looking forward to cheering on my friends who are taking the leap. I’m glad you decided to use that little update form. It really kept me accountable last year. Best of luck come November!