I’m so happy to be a Pitch Wars mentor again for the THIRD time! And I’m super ridiculously awesomely excited to be joined by a co-mentor this year—none other than my mentee last year, Ron Walters! (Hey, everyone!)
A little about us:
- Meredith is now a full-time writer. Before this, she was a full-time lawyer. And she still squeezes being a full-time mom into the mix.
- Meredith has two books published. THE EIGHTH GUARDIAN is a fast-paced thriller set in a world of time-traveling teens employed by the US government. (Because you can take the girl out of the law, but you can’t take the law out of the girl…) The sequel, BLACKOUT has been out for a few months, and she’s working on the third book in the series.
- She will never pass up the opportunity to geek out over Harry Potter.
- Ron recently signed with Leon Husock of the L. Perkins Agency. He’s currently out on submission with THE GOLEM INITIATIVE, a fast-paced thriller about a kid who moves to Prague and unearths a device from WWII that gives him the power to raise golems.
- Ron has been a stay-at-home dad for over six years. Before that he was a newspaper reporter and a college registrar.
- Ron once dressed as Harry Potter for Halloween, if that tells you anything.
If you write any of the following, we might be soul mates and you should put us on your submission list. Please note, we’re mentoring YA only this year!
- Historical fantasy! <———- IF YOU HAVE ONE, SEND IT TO US!!!
- If there’s magic or anything off-the-wall in it, WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS.
- Anything fast-paced, high-adrenaline, super-actiony. (That’s a word. Seriously. That word is why Ron knew Meredith would make an awesome mentor. SEE HOW THAT WORKED OUT?!)
- As a general rule, the darker, the creepier, the better with us. And if you’re not 100% sure whether we’d like something, feel free to find us on Twitter and ask! @MeredithMcP @
We will probably not be a good match if you write the following. (Although we’re sure you’re still awesome, and we totally still want to hang out with you.)
- Contemporary romance.
- Anything light-hearted in tone.
- Time travel. (This one is Meredith being neurotic. She makes it a general rule not to read a genre she’s actively writing. Sorry, yo.)
- Golems. (This is Ron being neurotic.)
So why would you pick us?
- Meredith has been a Pitch Wars mentor for the past two years. Both of my super awesome mentees signed with agents as a result of Pitch Wars. YAY, SUCCESS STORIES!
- Ron’s knows what it’s like to be a mentee. It’s a lot of work, but totally worth it. No way would he have signed with an agent if it wasn’t for the revisions he did during Pitch Wars.
- We’re good at reading a manuscript, identifying the problem areas, and working with a writer to figure out how to fix them.
- We have a solid knowledge of the industry. What’s selling, what’s not, what agents and editors are looking for at the moment, what they’re not. And that will always be in the back of our heads.
And that’s it! If you think we’re a good fit, we hope you keep us on your list. And if not, then we wish you all the best! Good luck to everyone!